What was buzzy doing today? Let’s see, writing, researching, and….BUILDING! Yes, I am building MANY bee condos. I am making some for the Biosphere 2, some for my house, and some for my good bee friend, goodbear. So yesterday it was:
Go to Home Depot, pick out large 4inx8inx10 ft piece of lumber (untreated). Find nearest person working there and ask them to cut the wood into 10 inch pieces. Tell the cashier what the wood is for. Gave her my card so she could visit the site. And here we are…lot’s of wood that will become native bee condos.
Gotta get all the supplies together and get started.
Different sized drill bits- check
Begin with one size, start drilling. I tried drilling in a line, but obviously you can see, I can’t drill in a straight line. It’s okay though. It just adds character. I used 3 different sized drill bits (1/4″, 3/8″, and 3/16″). For the two largest holes I drilled 6 inches deep, and for the smallest hole I drilled about 4 inches deep. It doesn’t have to be precise. The bees do not have tiny tape measures. This is what it looks like finished.
And here is Maggie. She is advertising for the bees. “help save the bees with this cool bee condo,” says Maggie. Nothing says “help the bees” like a serious bee condo, next to a serious dog.
I will be putting some up at my place. When I start seeing some bee action I will post an update. And big thanks to those who are trying this out. You will put a smile on my face, and Maggie will be happy her ad is working.